Diets high in sugar or saturated fat, but not polyunsaturated fat, impaired memory study using energy-matched diets enriched in fat or sugar says:
• Diets high in sugar or saturated fat, but not polyunsaturated fat, impaired memory.
• All groups had similar energy intake and weight gain across the 2 weeks of diet.
• Diets did not substantially affect hippocampal inflammatory gene expression.
• Each diet significantly altered the microbial composition in distinct ways.
• Significant relationships between memory, inflammatory genes and microbiota.